Click to watch video from "Mormon Messages"

Friday, November 27, 2009

Decoupage

The first thing I ever decoupaged, was some oatmeal containers. They are the perfect size to hold a bag of flour. I did this over a year ago, and they're still going strong. I used brown packing paper.
Then I decoupaged some boxes to hold my sewing stuff. The top box I used wrapping paper, which I decided I don't like. So, I wouldn't recommend using wrapping paper. It seemed like a good idea, but I don't like the sheen and the paper is a little thin, so it bubbles easily. The bottom box I used 12"x12" craft paper.

I decoupaged some paper to the bottom of a tray, to add some color to the music room.Other ideas I found on etsy:
ON THE TRAIN - Giclee Reproduction Mounted On Wood Block by Danita (5x5 INCHES PRINT)You could decoupage a cool print onto a block of wood and it would look like amazing art. I've thought of doing this one with some excellent calendar pictures I found a few years ago. I'm a crazy collector of just about meaningless junk.
3 Wooden Blocks (3.5 inch- MEDIUM) in SUGAR SWEET designDecorative wooden blocks You could also put your kid's name on it and use as decoration.
CHRISTMASTIME block puzzle - WAS 11.00 - SHOPWIDE SALEThis is the one I want to do. Make a puzzle for a present. I haven't decided if I'll find cool pics online, or use pictures of each family member's face. Maggie will really like it.

Frame - Stripe and Floral ScrollDecoupage a frame. You can buy blank frames at Michael's. Makes a good, inexpensive gift for Christmas or babyshower.
Green Sparrows Medium Oblong Planter TubYou can decoupage using fabric. This is especially useful if you want to decoupage something bigger than 12"x12". Ace Hardware carries some galvanized tubs for about $16.
Heck you can even decoupage your furniture! This designer used wallpaper.

Option 1: You think up your own project to suit your needs, use me as an idea resource, bring all your own supplies, we'll put it together Tuesday. But I will bring the modge pode because I have a lot of it. Bring sponge brushes if you have them.

Option 2: Alisha's choice which will be to decoupage cans. Useful things to do with pretty cans: put utensils in for hosting parties/showers; put pens or pencils in to put on counter or desk; put spoons, spatulas, etc. in on counter (I have a boatload of big #10 cans if you want to use them), put a pretty plant in a big can, use them as a piggy bank/tithing container for your kids (I think I'm going to do this one with little pringles cans. Plus, I'd love an excuse to buy pringles. Mmmmm.) I'm going to try decoupaging a can, and post a pic later. Meanwhile, you all buy some food that comes in a can that you'd like to decoupage.

Please comment on what project you want to do. Also, if people want to do blocks, leave that comment, because we could pool in for price. I bought a long square 'pole' from Home Depot and will be cutting it into cubes, but will have more 'blocks' than I need when I'm done.
Also, if you didn't get enough magnets made, we'll be decoupaging them, so come with paper or use mine if you want more magnets, I've ordered 100 more magnets from etsy, so we'll have enough for all of us, no matter how many you want!

See you all Tuesday, December 8th.

4 comments:

  1. Anne made blocks with cousins pic on them for presents last year. It turned out super cute. I need to add two more blocks to the collection so I think I will do those. I would also like to make a puzzle one. We leave for Utah the next day, so I may not make it, but will try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I love the dresser! Oh and I would offer to host it, but since we leave the next day it's probably not the best idea. Maybe next month.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will cut blocks for me over thanksgiving, but if you have extra I would be interested in buying some from you. Why are there so many fun things to do the week of my due date? Probably because I need to be distracted when the baby comes late. Wish I could host. Hope I can come!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have class tonight, so I won't be there, sad day! I finally painted my magnet board frame and I would like to try your staple gun method for attaching it to the board...is there any chance I could make an appointment to come over to do that sometime? I'd also love to host craft group sometime, so long as people don't mind coming to my messy house (I'm starting classes up again full time next semester, so there's no guarantee that our house will ever be clean again.)

    ReplyDelete